When parents enroll their child in Camp Webb, they are entrusting us with their most prized possession. We at Camp Webb take that responsibility very seriously by hiring the best people we can find. Counselors are chosen because of their maturity level, ability to be positive role models, experience with children, and level of enthusiasm. It is essential that the camp counselors we hire understand the important balance between creating a super-fun experience for the campers…and keeping them safe. Our senior counselors must be at least 18 years of age and have passed a screening and interview process. All staff members at Camp Webb participate in orientation and training programs prior to the arrival of the campers. We limit our Adventure Camp enrollment to an overall 1:4 staff-to-camper ratio.Positions at Camp Webb
Camp Webb requires all senior staff applicants to be at least 18 years old by the start of camp. All applicants must be at least high school graduates, but college students are strongly preferred. Staff positions are as follows:
- Assistant Director: Prior experience as camp counselor strongly preferred. The Assistant Director will assist the Director in supervising day-to-day programs, the staff, and camp office. The Assistant Director will fulfill normal head counselor duties.
- Program Coordinator: Responsible for organizing the communication and design of special events. Must also manage camp option time period. Must also have experience in leadership in order to train and mentor the Counselors In Training. Must be flexible, organized, and creative!!
- Leadership Team Member: Assist with supervising staff and campers. Ensure the logistics of the day-to-day operation of the camp run smoothly. Responsible for implementing program variations.
- Aftercare Director: Prior experience leading activities with children preferred. Aftercare Director will supervise children and staff in an active extended care program. Must also have a pleasant, professional demeanor. Hours: 1:45 p.m.-6:10 p.m. Mon-Fri
- General Counselor: Group counselor staff will be responsible for day-to-day supervision of campers. General counselors will be with their campers at all times taking them to and from activity areas, to and from the cafeteria for lunch, etc. (Supervision duties include 16 campers and 1-2 Counselors in Training).
- Activity Staff: Responsible for conducting and implementing specialty programs, such as Aquatics, Sports, Nature Discovery, Arts and Crafts, Drama, Ropes Course, etc. These applicants must have proper qualifications for these positions. For example, Aquatics, the applicant needs current American Red Cross or equivalent LGT, CPR, etc. Applicants for activity areas must be able to set up, and execute lesson plans and programs geared for all different age groups.
- Aftercare Counselor: Prior experience leading activities with children preferred. Aftercare Counselors will lead children in an active extended care program. Must also have a pleasant, professional demeanor. Hours: 2 p.m.-6 p.m. Mon-Fri
- Lifeguard Manager: Responsible for all risk management at the pool. The applicant must be at least American Red Cross LG certified and be able to supervise a staff of lifeguards and implement active lesson plans for campers.
- Lifeguard: Provide supervision and ensure a safe environment at the camp’s pool activities. Assist in the management of the physical operation of the pool facilities and equipment. Supervise and guard all pool activities. Provide surveillance during aquatic activities to help prevent and to manage injuries.
- Administrative: Tennessee State Licensed Registered Nurse, LPN, or EMT (current CPR and First Aid required).
As an Adventure Camp counselor at Camp Webb you can:
- Work with children in the outdoors
- Make friends
- Have evenings and weekends off – Day Camp hours!!!
- Develop life skills
- Make a difference in a child’s life
- …and get paid for having fun!
Mandatory Staff Orientation: May 30-June 1
Our season runs a total of eight weeks from June 4-August 3, excluding the 4th of July week.
Starting hourly pay is $9.00 an hour! This increases with age, certifications, and experience!Other Information
- Staff Orientation is mandatory for all staff. Staff members can expect to be paid hourly during Staff Orientation.
- Staff Members are strongly encouraged to work at least one of the two camp overnights during the summer.
What the Adventure Camp staff are saying...
“I had the privilege of working on the staff of Camp Webb Adventure Camp and it was an experience that will stay with me forever. Anytime I meet someone in the Knoxville area with children, I always mention Camp Webb and the great time I had working there. (Sometimes I end up talking more about how much fun I had rather than how much fun the children had!) But that’s exactly what makes Camp Webb such a unique place for young kids to spend their summers. They’ll have fun, they’ll make friends, and they’ll learn something new most every day; and the atmosphere at Camp Webb is truly special. I attended camp as a child and I had a great time, but Camp Webb changed my view of what a summer camp can and should be. Adventure Camp combines so many different activities for kids to do and the different themes each week keep the activities fresh, exciting and new; which I believe is so important for children who can sometimes become lethargic from an unchanging, strictly kept schedule. Adventure Camp always provided a positive atmosphere for everyone involved and the positive influence of the camp directors, my fellow co-workers and the campers themselves made waking up in the morning and going to work so worth it. I think Camp Webb allows children to develop friendships, learn teamwork and most importantly, to really be themselves and be happy with who they are. In short, Camp Webb was an amazing experience as a counselor (I can only imagine what it would be like as a camper!) and I strongly recommend this for anyone.”
“As a counselor at Camp Webb, I genuinely looked forward to going to work each day because of the awesome kids, the crazy-fun themes, the outstanding directors, the one of-a-kind staff, and wonderful activities. As far as summer camps go, Adventure Camp has set the gold standard for me. As I approach college graduation, I think about what I want in a job, and I immediately think of the incredibly positive, welcoming and fun environment Camp Webb provides for all who are a part of it. My summer working at Camp Webb is an experience I will always remember, along with those incredibly catchy camp songs!”
Although Camp Webb's focus is on fun, counselors must remember that they are responsible for every child’s safety and comfort level at camp. As a "substitute parent”, Camp Webb staff members have the responsibility to act as positive role models for their campers. Research and experience has shown, the quality of the staff is essential to a child's experience at camp. Are you up to the challenge?